Journaling refers to the process of keeping a personal journal or diary which you write in, ideally, on a daily basis.
Proponents of journaling believe that it fosters personal growth, and can have a profound effect on one’s efforts toward self improvement.
Some people journal during a trip, an illness, or other discrete period of time, such as the years they might serve in a specific job or train for a task. Others keep journals throughout their entire lives.
Proponents of journaling claim that when you keep a journal you push yourself to always reflect on your life. You don’t just go through your life day by day. Instead, you look at how your life is going and take lessons that you can use to improve your life. This is important because it allows you to learn from your experiences. This way you will learn much more and improve yourself faster.
In addition, journal writing trains you to be observant. Since you need something that you can write in your journal, your mind will always be on the lookout for new ideas that you can write down. This is a very good habit to build because you will get a lot more ideas this way.
It also helps you look at your progress over time. Since you record your life journey in your journal, you can clearly see what you’ve gone through in your life. You can see how much your progress has been. Knowing this is good to keep your motivation high. Knowing that you’ve been through difficult times in the past helps you face new challenges with strength and confidence.
Those who advocate journaling also insist that it is important to write in your journal regularly. Make it a habit to write down whatever lessons and ideas you get. Once you make it a habit, you will get a lot of benefits for your personal growth.
While journaling may be therapeutic, and is supposed to be private, there are others who have successfully turned their journals into novels or autobiographies.
- In Which Trina Clarifies the Difference Between Journals vs. Diaries, and Shares Her Personal Journaling Journey
- The Power of Journaling – Article 9 in a Series: Exercise Redux
- The Power of Journaling – Article 9 in a Series: Come on, everybody, do your “Exercise”
- The Power of Journaling – Article 8 in a Series: Journaling Equipment (addenda), Creating a Ritual, Methods
- The Power of Journaling – Article 6 (Part 2) in a Series: Journaling Equipment
- The Power of Journaling – Article 6 (part 1) in a Series
- The Power of Journaling: Article 5 of a Series
- The Power of Journaling: Article 4 in a Series
- Emerging Voices
- Your High Risk Pregnancy: A Practical and Supportive Guide
- The Power of Journaling – Part 2
- Mid-Life Rehab