Skin Maintenance for Your Ageless Wellness Beauty
By Shirley Meerson, CHWC, NABBW’s Associate for the Ageless Wellness Lifestyle
Psst…here’s one of my ageless beauty maintenance tips – Face Serums.
I’ve been using them as part of my regular skin care for years, simply because they work.
I love serums because I can see and feel the results.
Healthy beautiful skin is always in style.
One thing that you’ll definitely notice is that face serums are expensive. Yikes. However, I assure you that serums are well worth the cost. Many brands come in pump bottles or have medicine dropper applicators to give out just the tiny amount you need. As a result, those few drops are super-efficient. A small bottle should last you months.
As we age, our skin has a slower capacity to repair itself. It needs a boost and a helping hand from us. Hence, we need direction of where to go and what to do for maintenance.
As a wellness proponent, I always sing the praises of sufficient hydration. Drink plenty of clean water daily.
When it comes to further maintenance, it’s time to dig into the science and optimize.
Yes, maintenance is my word for beautification and health. As well as, creating a positive mindset with practical steps leading to your radiant skin.
In the past, I have assumed that face serums are for dry skin or combination skin. I was wrong. Because through this research, I found out that people with oily skin can also benefit.
What are they?
A face serum is a type of moisturiser that is lighter and penetrates deeper by providing a high concentration of active ingredients.
- Face serums are beneficial for many skin types -but not for everyone.
- If you have a chronic skin condition like eczema or rosacea, then first talk with your dermatologist.
- A little goes a long way. Therefore, more is not better because a serum is very concentrated.
- Serum does not contain a sunscreen.
Why use a serum?
- Form a great line of defence.
- Pack in more antioxidants than any other skin care product.
- Improve your skin’s ability to retain moisture.
- Strengthen the skin and helps to maintain firmness.
- Protects against fine lines developing.
When should I use a serum?
A face serum can be used morning and night. It all depends on your skincare regime.
- Layer the serum under your moisturiser.
- Or, the serum can be used as an alternative to a moisturiser. I do this several evenings during the week.
- Don’t use at night if you are already using a retinoid = too many combinations of products.
What ingredients are found in serums?
- Antioxidants. Vitamins that help to reduce the damaging effects of external factors on your skin, such as pollution and sun exposure.
- Peptides. Amino acids which help to promote collagen production, helping your skin look smoother.
- Hyaluronic Acid. The name may be a bit scary but do not fear this. Hyaluronic is one favorite of mine. It’s a substance that occurs naturally in the body and is found in our connective tissue. The skin identical molecules found in hyaluronic can retain moisture and this is a good thing. Because skin moisture relates to firmness and regeneration. Hyaluronic acid is helpful for all skin types and not only for a youthful dewy skin. It repairs the skin barrier to minimize issues of sun damage, acne, sensitivity, and rosacea.
How to use a serum
- Cleanse regularly and include your neck.
- Pat your skin dry.
- Take a pea size amount of serum and pat over your skin. I sometimes only focus on my eye and lip areas.
- Allow time to absorb if applying normal moisturizer on top.
- Cleanse from the inside. Consequently, this means drinking plenty of water during the day.
Why do I like them so much?
Because they work!
Sometimes after applying a serum, my skin will feel tighter immediately and I enjoy that sensation.
If I had a tiring day – I make certain to do skin maintenance that night to ensure the next day my skin will not show the effects of stress. It’s all about knowledge, positivity, and action.
You also wake up and your skin will feel and look as if it has been taken care of. A fabulous confidence boost to start the day.
Hey lovelies – let’s talk holistic beauty.
Hit me up for a free call to discuss the secrets I’ve learned from living in a dozen countries.