Nine Nimble Steps to a Svelte and Willowy Mind
As the natural aging process slowly yet steadily sets in, our mental and physical functions can, in time, become impaired. However, there are fun ways to keep your mind nimble, svelte and willowy!
How to slow this process?
In addition to a well-balanced and healthful diet as well as physical exercise, neurobics can aid the anti-aging process.
What are neurobics?
Neurobics are my kind of exercise. They are aerobic workouts for the brain that help activate new brain circuits, which enhance the brain\’s production of neurotrophins (natural growth factors). Neurotrophins help the brain\’s ability to combat the effects of the mental aging process.
According to the Department of Neurobiology in the Duke University Medical Center, you can keep your brain nimble, quick and ready for new challenges with neurobics. Neurobics help stimulate the brain\’s activity, change the patterns of activity in your brain and create new connections in areas that process sensory input.
Neurobics can be done just about anywhere and at anytime. The trick is to utilize your five physical senses (see, hear, taste, feel, smell) and your emotional sense in unconventional ways. In order to WAKE UP, you want to shake up and break up your mental routine!
Here are some fun neurobic exercises.
Our Lady of Weight Loss\’s Nine SHAKE IT UP and WAKE IT UP
Aerobic Exercises for the Mind
1. Upon waking, use your non-dominant hand (if you are a righty; use your lefty) as you comb your hair, get dressed, brush your teeth or make coffee. Allot for extra time!
2. Close your eyes as you shower and use your sense of touch to locate your soap and wash yourself. A calm way to wake up the mind!
3. Sniff mint leaves (or any strong smelling herb) while calling your mother (or whomever you like), to help you remember the number. You\’ve linked task and smell and created a moment of awareness.
4. Play “smell and tell” (not show and tell!). Have friends or family members close their eyes, sniff an aroma held under their nose, and let them tell you what it is that they are smelling. Imagine all the deviant fun you can have?!
5. Turn the pictures on your desk or shelves upside down.
6. Rearrange your living room or office furniture.
7. Take a different route to work or shopping.
8. Eat a meal with your family in silence. Use only visual cues. (Alternatively, if they insist on speaking, wear ear-plugs.)
9. Listen to music while you smell the roses (or the flower of your choice). Another pleasant pairing of the senses: sound and smell.
Wow, I\’m exhausted. I strengthened the synapses between my nerve cells, and now my brain cells are busy making growth molecules. Technically speaking, it takes energy to fire those neurons. I wonder how many calories I burned.
Change your brain NOW! Neurobicize!
Spread the word, NOT the icing!