Male menopause or Andropause is a name that has been given to a menopause-like condition in aging men. This relates to the slow but steady reduction of the production of the hormones testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone in middle-aged men, and the consequences of that reduction.
Unlike women, middle-aged men do not experience a complete and permanent physiological shutting down of the reproductive system as a normal event, though a steady decline in testosterone levels with age (in both men and women) is well documented.
The impact of low levels of testosterone has been previously reported and include loss of libido and potency, nervousness, depression, impaired memory, the inability to concentrate, fatigue, insomnia, hot flushes, and sweating.
researchers have found that their subjects' symptoms improved dramatically when they were given replacement doses of testosterone.
Some of the current popular interest in the concept of male menopause has been fueled by the book "Male Menopause," written by Jed Diamond, an NABBW Associate.
According to Diamond, male menopause is a change of life in middle-aged men, which has hormonal, physical, psychological, interpersonal, social, sexual, and spiritual aspects. Diamond claims that this change occurs in all men, generally between the ages of 40 and 55, though it can occur as early as 35 or as late as 65.
Diamond claims that, in terms of life impacts, women’s and men’s experience with menopause are somewhat similar.
The concept of andropause is perhaps more widely accepted in Australia and some parts of Europe than it is in the United States.
- Jed Diamond’s Newest Book, “12 Rules for Good Men” Continues His Mission to Help Men Understand Themselves While Helping Women Understand What Good Men Really Need
- “I’m Not You In Love With You Anymore” ~~ How Many Spouses Have Heard That Statement? (And What to Do When It Happens)
- Don’t Give Up on Love: Six Things to Consider When Your Relationship is in Crisis
- Are You Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places? How to Stop Choosing Type Z and Find Type A
- If You Want to Be Happy for the Rest of Your Life, Marry a Short Man (The Real Secrets of Finding True Love)
- If Your Doctor Says You Have Breast Cancer or Prostate Cancer You May Not Have Cancer at All
- How to Reduce Stress and Improve Your Love Life: Lessons from the World’s Best Exotic Animal Trainers
- Six Ways to Prevent Irritable Male Syndrome from Ruining Valentine’s Day
- 6 Ways to Prevent Irritable Male Syndrome from Ruining Your Holidays
- Why Men Commit Suicide: The Three Warning Signs Most People Miss
- Are You (or are you married to) A Depressed Husband? Maybe It’s IMS – Take the Quiz
- Are You In Love or “Love” Addicted? Take the Quiz and Find Out
- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness: 7 Not So Simple Steps
- Red Hot Sex: 7 Little Known Secrets For A Lifetime of Passion and Love
- 7 Things You Must Do to Survive and Thrive in 2012 and Beyond
- Jed\’s Travels with the CIA (Crisis Induced Awakenings)
- Energy Medicine for Men: What Every Boomer Woman Should Know About Helping Her Man Eliminate Stress from His Life
- The Irritable Male Syndrome and Male Menopause: Regaining Our Balance at Mid-life
- Male Depression Rising Due to Western Socioeconomic Changes
- The Irritable Male Syndrome and Male Menopause: Regaining Our Balance at Mid-life More..